Merab Dvalishvili has provided fans with an update on former two-division champion Ilia Topuria.
Earlier this year at UFC Freedom 250, Topuria lost his title to Justin Gaethje. The 37-year-old dismantled “El Matador” for 20 minutes, after which the latter’s corner decided to stop the fight to save him from further punishment.
Topuria suffered two broken orbital bones and a broken nose, with Gaethje’s punches and jabs also leaving his eyes nearly swollen shut. Following the fight, he received a mandatory 60-day medical suspension, along with an 180-day suspension unless he is cleared by an oral and maxillofacial surgeon, as per MMA Fighting.
Recent videos and images that have surfaced online suggest that Topuria’s face has fully healed. The 29-year-old has yet to resume training and is taking some time to enjoy life outside the octagon. He has frequently been spotted at clubs and was also seen celebrating Spain’s World Cup victory alongside Ferran Torres.
Topuria’s team believes “El Matador” will compete again before 2026 ends and wants an immediate rematch with Justin Gaethje. However, “The Highlight” believes he made Topuria quit twice on June 14, and thus the Georgian-Spaniard does not deserve an immediate title rematch.
Other than Gaethje, the only other opponent that makes sense for Topuria is his arch-rival Paddy Pimblett.
Merab Dvalishvili gives positive update about Ilia Topuria
Merab Dvalishvili believes his friend Ilia Topuria will come back and reclaim what he lost at UFC Freedom 250. During a recent interview with Helen Yee, talking about how “El Matador” is doing mentally and physically, “The Machine” said:
“He’s [Ilia Topuria] doing good. He’s very positive. He’s enjoying his life, and when he’s gonna come back, he will beat everybody… Things happen. We are fighters. Ilia is very strong mentally and physically, and he will come back, as I said, and he will get back his belt.”
Check out Merab Dvalishvili’s comments about Ilia Topuria below:
Dvalishvili, meanwhile, will return at UFC 333 for a trilogy bout against current and two-time bantamweight champion Petr Yan, looking to reclaim the title he lost to “No Mercy” at UFC 323 last year.

